Nội dung chính của bài viết
Background: Viet Nam was one of the countries with the highest abortion rate in the world, of which about 70% were of the adolescents. Nowadays, students at Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy are facing many problems related to reproductive health such as unwanted pregnancy, abortion, sexually transmitted diseases, homosexuality... Objectives: To determine the proportion of medical students at Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy have correct knowledge about contraceptive methods and safe sex and its related factors. Materials and methods: A cross-sectional descriptive study with analysis was carried out on 370 first-year, second-year and third-year general medicine students who were studying at Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy at the age of 18-24. Results: The results showed that the rates of students had a high knowlege of contraception and practicing safe sex were 8.38% and 28.65% respectively. The statistically significant factors include: For students with high knowledge about contraception: having already taken a Reproductive Health module, learning from internet by themselves and joining Union/Association activities; For students with high knowledge about safe sex: having a hometown in an urban area; learning from newspaper and books, home schooling, friends and general knowledges. Conclusion: Students’ knowledge about contraceptive methods was not good. Students' knowledge about safe sex was quite good. Related factors to high knowledge about contraception and safe sex of students: having already taken a Reproductive Health module, having a hometown in an urban area, joining Union/Association activities, learning from internet, newspaper and books, home schooling, friends and general knowledges.
Chi tiết bài viết
contraception, safe sex, student, Vietnam
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. Ton That Chieu (2017), Knowledge, attitudes, practices of reproductive health care among students in Hue university, Hue.
3. General Statistics Office (2019), The 2019 Population and Housing Census, Ha Noi.
4. Hanoi Department of Health (2018), Abortion rate among adolescents is increasing, Ha Noi.
5. Vo Thi Thuy Linh (2022), Knowledge about contraceptions and related factors of students from the faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Tra Vinh university in 2020, Can Tho Journal of Medicine and Pharmacy, (48), 136-141.
6. Vo Thi Kieu Mi (2020), Knowledge, attitudes and behaviors on the reproductive health of female students of Health Sciences Faculty, Duy Tan University, DTU Journal of Science and Technology, 03(40), 121-136.
7. Ministry of Health (2022), Many solutions towards ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030, Ha Noi.
8. Nguyen Thanh Phong (2017), Study of students’ knowledge, attitude and practices towards contraceptives at some universities/colleges in Hanoi and efficiency of interventions, Doctoral dissertation, Hanoi Medical University.
9. Duong Hong Phuc, Vo Minh Tuan, Le Thi Kieu Dung (2014), Knowledge and attitude of freshman medical students about the current contraceptive methods at Ho Chi Minh city university of Medicine and Pharmacy (2013), Ho Chi Minh city medical journal, 18(1), 1419.
10. Khonesavanh Inthavong, Le Thi Hai Ha, Le Thi Kim Anh and Vanphanom Sychareuna (2020), Knowledge of safe sex and sexually transmitted infections among high school students, Vientiane Prefecture, Lao PDR, Glob Health Action, 13(2), 1785159.
11. Prem Davis (2020), Knowledge and attitudes about the use of emergency contraception among college students in Tamil Nadu, India, Journal of the Egyptian Public Health Association, 95, 1-11.
12. Sebastián Sanz-Martos (2020), Young Nursing Student’s Knowledge and Attitudes about Contraceptive Methods, International Journal of Environment Research and Public Health, 17, 5869.
13. Tatenda Mutsindikwa (2019), Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Contraception Among Tertiary Students at the University Campus in Namibia, Global Journal of Health Science, 11(6), 180.